Monday 27 July 2015

Just Start Again

Like a lot of people in the summer, I give myself a little slack from regular routines. Summers seem to fly by, and I love spending time outdoors to take full advantage of this beautiful weather.

I also admit I've taken a break from yoga for a couple of weeks, thinking I could just come back to the mat and carry on where I left off.

It was a bit of shocker when I did return to my mat to find that my muscles had tightened up like crazy. I was amazed at how quickly the practice had left my body. It felt like the first time on the mat. How can this be???

I was never naturally flexible, and with age this is even more apparent. I've come to accept that I need to keep running so I can keep running And apparently, this also applies for yoga. 'Use it or lose it' has never been truer.'

It was more than a little humbling when I tried to do my first practice after my (what I thought was a brief) hiatus. I was never super bendy but c'mon... And to add more humility to the mix- I'm a yoga teacher!

Once I got over myself, I realized that just because I felt like I had banked some time, yoga doesn't work that way- at least not for me. I am never going to be naturally flexible, and with my age, and my other activities such as running, boot camp, and cycling- it needs to be part of my daily routine.

So.. what next?

Well, the simple answer is just start again. Give my bruised ego a little hug and simply come back to my mat. I suspect that it won't take long to regain what I seem to have lost over the last couple weeks but even if it takes longer, it will be time well spent.

And just as importantly,  it is also time to come home to myself. To embrace my imperfect self, to connect with my breath, to notice sensations in my body and thoughts that run through my mind.

There are always going to be things that distract, or even derail us at times, in life. And sometimes we can only know what balance is, when we're out of balance. But if we can kindly acknowledge any judgement that comes with that, and just start again- who knows where it might lead?

Today is a new day. A new experience on my mat.

And gratitude that I can begin again.

Namaste._/l\_

No comments:

Post a Comment