Wednesday 10 December 2014

Breathing in Balance



Fifteen days- and counting -until Christmas. Even though I'm a little ahead of myself compared to most years, I've got lots to keep me busy until our kids step through the front door!

However this year thankfully, I don't have my 'knickers in a twist' like I normally do.
So what has changed?

My daughter was home last week, which was a rare and special treat. One of our goals of her visit was to bake and decorate together. As we opened up the box of tree ornaments she said (half) jokingly "You might as well do this yourself Mom, because you'll just end up rearranging all the ones I hang!”
We both laughed- and I said 'Not anymore, Camille. Having you here hanging them with me is way more important than any Martha Stewart tree.” We still took our time and made it look pretty, but it felt effortless and joyful.

I'm sure age has something to do with letting go of some of these less important details but I also have to give credit to some other practices- including my yoga practice. It really has helped me find more balance and perspective in my life, at least some of the time :).

In yoga, balance is finding the middle path where both ease and effort co-exist. Both matter. It's important to 'show up' on our mat, to put a genuine effort into our practice. Growth comes with effort. But if we effort too much without honouring the body, we can injure ourselves. And yoga is not just a work out.

The component of ease exists as well. It doesn't mean we don't come to our edge in a pose and explore what that feels like- but we do it with sensitivity and awareness. It's also a time of surrendering, and letting go of the outcome and self judgement. Opening to something greater than the small minded view of ourselves.

So how do we do that? I believe there are many ways, individual to all. But one of the most important, is to return to the breath as often one can. Before the pose begins, come to the breath to center, to connect with something greater than ourselves. Then move into the pose with breath and awareness. Notice the breath while in a pose- is it fluid and smooth or laboured? There are times when the body is working harder in some poses, but generally the breath should feel natural and free. Finally invite breath to come out of the pose and back to help center once again.

Settling our awareness on the in and out breath will return us to ourselves time and time again. It connects us to this place of wisdom and balance that is always available to us. This place where effort and ease reside together naturally and joyfully.

May you continue to enjoy balance in this dance of effort and ease, wherever you may seek it. And may your breath be a loving guide.

Namaste. _/l\_

No comments:

Post a Comment