Wednesday 3 December 2014

My Tool Box

As we continue our weekly yoga sessions with the theme of balance, there is a saying that has stuck with me, first heard from my teacher, Catherine.

“We don't always know balance is until we experience what it's like to be out of balance.”

So true. We often judge ourselves as weak when we don't feel grounded and aligned, clear headed and rational, competent and calm. But actually, these times are full of information for us- and when we can grow our awareness around how we feel, as well as the things that help us return to balance, these unsteady times can actually become some of our greatest teachers.

True balance is never a static thing. Like a student once said, “It's like flying in an airplane. The pilot knows the course and efforts to stay on course- but the actual time spent 'smack dab' on course is really very momentary".

Life is like that. Most of the time, we have our course and we veer off it a little but find our way back. Other times, something really throws us off and it isn't easy to recalibrate and get our legs beneath us again.

But is there anything that can help us stay a little steadier and more balanced in all the ups and downs in life?

Personally I think yes, as I've seen it in my own life, and lives of those near and dear to me. I call it my tool box. These are all practices that have helped me at different stages of my life- some more than others, but they are my 'go to' place when I can't seem to get my sea legs. And when I do them regularly I do find that the pendulum of balance doesn't swing quite as wildly either. At least not all the time. :)

These practices aren't rocket science, but they have helped me build awareness in myself and create a sense of wellbeing time and time again. A few of them include a regular spiritual-meditation/yoga practice, a healthy diet, enough rest, and time spent in nature.

What works for me, may not work for you- the key is to try different things and then observe how they make you feel. If they help, include them in your own tool box and experiment by practising them for a time. You may see that if they do become part of your regular practice, they will feel more natural and empowering when you really do need them.

There is a great comfort in 'coming home to oneself' when we experience times of uncertainty and vulnerability. A place where we can ride the fluctuations in life. The place that resides in each of our hearts. May we all continue to know that place with whatever tools are right for us.


Namaste  _/l\_

No comments:

Post a Comment