Thursday 14 May 2015

It's All About the Balance

Last weekend my husband and I went to Point Pelee, a beautiful provincial park and popular resting place for birds in their annual migration. It's something we've wanted to do for years, and this year seemed to be the perfect time. It was a lovely trip. We expected to see trees full of exotic birds -which we didn't- but did see some rare ones with the help of our expert guide.

It was fascinating to witness this extraordinary annual event. These little birds travel over thousands of miles, risking their lives at every turn as they make their way over the vast expanse of ocean, through inclement weather, often flying at night to avoid predatory birds. But still everything inside their beings tells them they must do this, in order to survive.
It was humbling to think about this, and I was such awe of their strength and determination. 

It also made me think of some of the big goals I've had in my life. One such physical goal was to run a marathon a few years back. I didn't think it was possible, but I wanted to try anyway. So I committed to training faithfully, and with my husband at my side to help me run it, I did indeed run my first- (and only!)- marathon.

Along with the training however, I needed to balance it with proper rest and a healthy diet to support my body. You can't do a marathon using just brute force and determination. Just like those little birds  resting and feeding at  Point Pelee I too had to refuel and restore in order to continue my journey's quest.

Sometimes, especially in our culture -we don't always value those times of resting and refueling. We can feel guilty about sitting in our lawn chairs on a warm day instead of doing all the jobs that are waiting for us. But it really is all about balance. And if we practice that in our lives, I think we can be even more productive when it comes to training for our own marathons in life- whether we choose them, or they choose us.

Yoga teaches the importance of balance, and how it can help us in so many areas of our lives, including the times of great challenge and adversity. 

So when you come to your mat, just appreciate the time you're taking from your busy life- to slow down, restore and refuel.
Your mind, body and spirit will thank you.

Namaste  _/l\_
                                                                      

One of the birds we did see- Magnolia Warbler. Beautiful!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment