Thursday 7 May 2015

The Wonder of it All

Spring has officially sprung.

Earlier in the week, I was very aware it would be a matter of hours before the trees would be in full leaf, and the magnolia blossoms would jubilantly burst open, offering their exquisiteness to the world. Trilliums and wild leeks would find their way up through the dense earth, blanketing the forest floor. The brilliance of the daffodils, dancing in the breeze, would adorn neighbouring gardens, and the delicate wild apple blossoms would awaken shyly to the warmth of the sun.

This is a fleeting, transitory window of time as a quiet but deliberate transformation takes place, each bud unreservedly unfolding and announcing its glorious arrival. When I was younger I missed this precious time more years than I would like to admit. I would look out and be astonished that the trees had been transformed, all frilly and green with fresh new life.

However, I have grown to anticipate and treasure this sweet, tender, tentative time.

One morning this week I was up very early and looked out into the soft pink sky still darkened with  the quiet remnants of the night. In the foreground was the most glorious silhouette of a cascading tree branch, covered in countless buds about to open fully to this new day.
It was a moment of sheer child like wonder, as if I had never seen such a sight even though this miracle takes place each year. But it was also a poignant realization that I was beholding something so precious and momentary. I felt deeply humbled to be invited to witness this new life unfolding, knowing in a few hours it would be forever changed.

There is a quote that comes to mind about that morning. It reminds me to pause many times a day in wonder of this life, to be amazed and curious and astonished by it all. Springtime, summer, winter and fall. All it requires of me is to stand in awe, and fill my heart with its grace.

"When our eyes are graced with wonder, the world reveals its wonders to us. So much depends on how we look at things. The quality of our looking determines what we come to see."
John Donohue.


Namaste. _/l\_

Namo Amida Bu.

No comments:

Post a Comment